Preparations


If you've ever seen a Wonder Works museum, you know what our house looks like right now.  It's turned upside down with suitcases, backpacks, bags of food.  And our six-man army prepares to march.

I've checked my camera bag more times than my suitcase.  They say slow and steady wins the race; slow is right.  The past few days have been surprisingly, well, calm.  I'm sure the monsoon of "Is someone bringing the toothpaste?" and, "Don't forget your pajamas!" will make landfall, but for now it's check your lists boys, we're movin' out.

While I'm waiting, sitting at my desk writing blog posts under the buzzing fan, let me share with you the true-life characters in our story.

Nathaniel Bowditch.  I believe you've met.

 Hab Bowditch.  Nat's older brother, Hab was probably a strong influence on him in his early years.  Rough and ready like the seaman Bowditch line.  Broad shouldered and with a swagger in his step.

Liza Bowditch.  Nat's older sister, closest sibling by age and connection, she understood his feelings better than the rest of the family.  She died at nineteen by falling down a flight of stairs.

Elizabeth Boardman.  The girl with the eyes in the back of her heart.  Much younger than Nat, he befriended her when her father died at sea.  It was all over from there...

Polly Bowditch.  Nat's cousin and second wife.  Full of spunk and life, she helped him heal from Elizabeth's death.

Mr. Ropes and Mr. Hodges.  Nat's original indenture holders.  True characters of history, one of my goals is to find their chandlery, or one like it, in Salem.

Dr. William Bentley.  Pastor of Salem's largest church and advocate of education, Dr. Bentley was one of Nat's many mentors.

Dr. Holyoke.  Salem's most respected physician, Dr. Holyoke was the Bowditch's family physician, both in Nat's childhood and adulthood.  He began the American Academy of Science, with such austere members as George Washington.  The society was created when a privateer captured the personal library of a member of the Royal Academy.  Dr. Holyoke was another of Nat's mentors, and invited him to join pro bono while still indentured.  Many of the books in their library radically changed his education and future.

Captain Elias Haskett Derby.  Salem's greatest ship's captain, he no longer sailed during Bowditch's life, but owned and operated a shipping company.  People said he could see around corners, with his business sense.  Derby send out the first ship to bring news of the Declaration of Independence, declaration of war, and declaration of peace.  He was also responsible in part for the creation of America's navy.

These are the characters I have confirmed with history.  The others exist only in Jean Lee Latham's, my, and thousands of other young people's imaginations.


P.S.  I'm finishing this the day after I began.  The fan is still groaning above my cluttered desk, and luggage still blocks my way.  But I'm in New England already in my mind.  Three days.  Let the adventure begin.

Comments

Popular Posts