Plot Twist

I'm sitting in the middle of my floor, surrounded by clothes and suitcase and paperwork, befuddled and worn.  My to-do list looks longer than this blog, and each item has an excuse beside it, trying to explain why it's not done yet.  I hear echoes of passing conflict from earlier in the day, and try to focus on what's ahead. 

My mind pulls my memory back to the past year, its highlights, its slumps.  Today, a year ago, I was packing the same suitcase to fly across the country.  Nine months ago I was graduating with a certificate in health coaching.  Days later I was flying to a new home I had only entered once.

Christmas flies by and I find myself at a different school, struggling with the flu and wrapping my head around my miracle of being there.

Four states.  Four "homes."  God's continual guidance despite momentous upheaval.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life isn't a story book.  That's the good news and the bad news all wrapped up into one.  God's will doesn't work as a set-up, climax, and resolution with a couple semi-surprising plot twists.  God's will IS the plot twist!

I used to worry about God's will.  It was as if here was what I wanted, and then down there in the scary pit of re-planning and unknowingness was what God wanted.  Surely what I wanted was best for me!  At least in the depths of my heart that's what I felt.

Submitting to what God wanted for me meant a painful acceptance and a nail-biting wait for the second-best.  Except for when I thought what He wanted was what I wanted.  Then heaven help the soul who stands in my (and God's) way.

But oh the beauty and sweet relief of knowing God's option is the best.  It seems like such a simplistic statement, I mean, don't we as Christians believe that God is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all love?

Yet when was the last time you were as excited when God closed a door you were trying to open, as when He paved the way for your biggest dream?  It's embarrassing to admit, and I know I'm not alone.

I don't know the next plot twist.  To be honest, I have no idea what the rest of my life book says.  But the ending is the one part I do know.  And it's the only part I need to know.  The rest is all about getting to the end. 

 So excuse me while I finish comparing flight prices and checking packing lists.  I'm in the middle of a plot twist.  I pray my eyes stay focused on

THE END.

Comments

Popular Posts