Because It Happened

I hate cliché social media quotes.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken. Be-you-tiful. Shoot for The moon; even if you miss you'll land among the stars. (Part of me dies when I hear that one.) Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

You get the idea. I'll spare you because you probably hate them too.

But back track a minute with me. I may hate the cliché, but there's a lot of truth in that last one. Truth that I'm only beginning to understand.

I live a life of great uncertainty. More than most I'd venture. So much changes so quickly. It's gotten to the point that I hesitate to even share my plans with others for fear they'll change yet again.

And here I am, sitting in the airport, thankful for my visit home, but already missing people on this side of the country.

I find myself missing a lot. People, places, special times in my life, memories, peace and security. But I rob myself of so much by focusing on what has already happened.

My advice to myself, and to you?

Yeah, that happened. Deal with it. Make your circumstances now so memorable that you'll smile just as much when you remember them.

So excuse me while I get on a plane between two homes, I have new memories to make.

Comments

Popular Posts