Strong

I have four and a half hours before I have to be up again, driving to my hospital an hour away, but instead of sleeping I'm learning.  I'd rather be learning anyway, and maybe sharing this chapter in my journey will help you too.

Did you know that the Bible uses the phrase "Be strong and courageous" thirteen times?  And that was just my cursory search right now.  Something tells me the truth behind that saying is important.  I'll be honest, though, that I don't like the word strong.  I really don't.

I've never thought of myself as strong.  I'm small, I have a genetic joint disease, and a whole list of insecurities and comparisons to other people stronger than I am.  It sounds like Moses' pathetic "BUT I STUTTER!!!" speech.  You can see why I've never liked these verses.  Encouragement for some people, sure, but the exact opposite for me.

There have been lots of times I should have been strong and courageous, but I wasn't.  Temptations I should have vanquished, darkness and depression I should have shaken off and pushed through, people or ideas that I should have stood up for and didn't.  I'm weak.

To be honest, there have been plenty of times I've wallowed in my weakness.  Worn my heart on my sleeve, if you will.  The day I told someone "Maybe I'm not meant to be happy, but to remain here in this darkness to help other people find happiness through my experience," was the day I realized part of my sinful heart didn't want to be strong, or courageous.  It liked being weak because weakness is easy.

All thirteen verses that start out "Be strong and courageous" have a rack focus from the close-up (what we assume to be ourselves, suited up, ready to conquer all with our secret weapons of strength and courage), to the distant, the true, proper perspective.  "Be strong, and of good courage," they say,  "For the Lord, your God is with you wherever you go."  

Be strong, be courageous, because God.

1. Be strong.  Anyone will tell you that there's a difference between the strength it takes to win an arm wrestling match, and not losing an arm wrestling match.  Or better yet, the difference between opening a sealed jar lid, and carrying a baby on your hip all day. Endurance versus instant effort.  

We assume these verses speak of deadlift strength.  "Handle this!  Suck it up and git er done!" when in actuality they speak of tenacious strength.  "Just don't lose any ground here for a bit.  Hold on."

2. Be courageous.  Sometimes courage is less about slaying dragons, and more about bucking up.  Rolling your shoulders back and shaking it off.

3. Because God.  This is the focus.  He's going to do something!  So lift your chin and smile, He's got you.  This isn't a challenge.  It isn't a lesson in being a macho Christian.  It's an encouragement.  

Maybe another way to express this thought:  "Hold on and grin, your Dad already has this handled, and He is about to do something freaking AWESOME."

Bonus?  You're going to learn so much while you're holding on.  He even promises that.

"I will give you the treasures of darkness
And hidden wealth of secret places,
So that you may know that it is I,
The Lord, the God of Israel, who calls you by your name."
Isaiah 45:3

Yes, there are unique treasures here in the darkness, but He's here to turn on the lights.  Hold on!



Comments

Popular Posts