I'm not content with God as my Sole Provider

You're stranded on a desert island, and you only have one item with you.  What would it be?



I strongly dislike this question (I'd say hate but Ms. Pat always said hate is a strong word).



If everything was taken from you, and all you had left was God, would He be enough for you?



I've always felt the same about this Christian version of the same false dilemma.



I can't tell you if God would be enough for me then, because I've never had everything else taken from me, and honestly I'm very uncomfortable with that.  There have been times that the idea of only having God and nothing else is like waking up on that stranded island with a champagne glass.



But there are also moments when I see how sufficient He has been in times of loss.  When I've lost what I thought I couldn't exist without, in the crossroads of the replacement, the choice in how to react, I've seen Him fill my life with beauty I couldn't expect.



Time after time, small losses, large losses, He's filled the gap.  Every time I've chosen the next step in His partial redemption over dysfunction, it has kept me functional and honestly I would have lost it a long time ago otherwise.



So no, I'm not content with God as my sole provider.  I can't say that I'd be completely content if everything I love and hold dear was taken from me.  Is that wrong?  Well it's not the best I can be.  But what I can tell you with absolute, undeniable, uncomfortable certainty is that He's been enough so far.



If I've got nothing but You
I'll still have everything I need
You're the one thing I can't loose
When I've run to the end of me
Everything I thought I lost
I found it all in You, my God
You're the one thing, one thing
One thing, one thing I need

-One Thing, Tenth Avenue North

Comments

Popular Posts