An Open Window

May you be like Daniel. May you stand for what is right, no matter the audience. When in the lions' den, may you have faith to stand for truth. 

The sulphur memory of matches lingers with oven fresh bread. Golden candle glow softens the hearts and faces gathered around the evening table. Stillness. Unity. Family. 

It's Friday night, the beginning of the end of the week. I can see our family, whole, still gathered. My mother has lit two candles at the center of the table. When we were little, she reminded us they stood for creation and the redemption that God promises through rest in Him. She has prayed, asking for the Spirit of God to fill our hearts with peace, casting out feelings of anger and strife. It's a special time as the sun sets into Saturday and we welcome the biblical Sabbath. 

Now my father rests his hands on my brother's shoulders and gives him this charge. Heartfelt since I heard it first. 

May you stand for right.

My dear brother. Time has marched on its ceaseless course and I once again felt your seat empty and heart closed. And once again I silently echo Dad's charge to you. If I could tell you one thing, it's this:

May you stand. When faced with the opinions of others, may you be ever clear on the truth of your convictions. But more importantly, may you kneel. 

May you kneel in the face of those waiting to see who you are behind the shell of church going and Bible quoting. I pray that you would throw wide the window to your upstairs heart, not so that everyone can see just how earnest you are, but so that you can fly in the face of every misconception of what it means to be a man of God. 

May you love those God has given to your care: your parents, your siblings. Seek out the treacherous path of self denial, and invest in messy relationships. 

May you be like Daniel. 

And one day may you return to receive this blessing and charge we hold safe in our hearts. 

Comments

Popular Posts