In Christ Alone

I stand at the back of a crowded room, surrounded by the swell of singing hearts.  The melody of committed young people brings me near tears.  It's the last night of camp meeting, a week of spiritual reconsecration for Christians across the Carolinas, both young and old.

"In Christ alone my hope is found, He is my light, my strength, my song..."

This week has been inspirational, and I don't use that word lightly.  I've been inspired by the spiritual vision cast by the youth leaders, the engagement and connection in my new friends' eyes, and the convicting work of the Holy Spirit I've experienced first hand.

Pastors David Wright, Henry Johnson, Patrick Williams, and Principal Brad Durby spent much time and prayer preparing a safe environment for growth and recommitment.  They proved that young people thrive on a balance of deep Bible study and fun.  Joe Reeves spoke in the morning and evening on Revelation 13 and our identity in Christ.  Pastor Henry led a small group study on the plan of salvation throughout the Bible.  After the first studies, the youth asked for a second meeting every day during their evening free time.  Many even skipped dinner to come.  The afternoon outings included hiking, rafting, and sports.  I saw smiles and friendship shared, and even in fun God's love was close.

It's easy to find out what anyone is interested in.  As I listened to my new friends talk between meetings, most often they spoke of renewed desire to not just live, but share the width, depth, and breadth of God's love.  They spoke of spending Thursday afternoon knocking on doors across Waynesville, NC, sharing a smile, a prayer, a book, and sincere care in strangers' lives.  Their excitement was charismatic.  Plans of doing the same in other cities across the Carolinas and beyond left me breathless.

Lastly, I've been inspired by God's work in individual lives this week.  These are young people not just interested in spiritual depth, but passionate about it.  Young people forever changed by a week of abiding peace coming from time in the Word of God.  Young people excited by more than a superficial, flash-in-the-pan, emotional experience.  My friends have seen the freedom of belief.

Yes, this week has been inspirational.  I am once again amazed at what God has done through a few committed leaders to change the lives of young people.  I've seen the power of Scripture, and as the song dies and I leave this place, I know it will last.  God's Word lasts forever.

Comments

Popular Posts