The Healer

 Her face showed signs of hope as I bandaged her lacerated wrists and told her just how much He loves her.  I still remember her name (I'll call her Jennifer), and I still remember the empty, hopeless eyes with which she distantly observed all the clamor of healing her physical life.  I remember thinking, as a lowly ER volunteer, how much I wished her spiritual life could be healed as well.  And the grace of God that put me in her room for five hours, sharing the hope that He gives each of us.

I smile when I think of "Al."  Quiet and withdrawn, he stood at the edge of the crowd.  Interested, but surely not a part.  A smile and active inclusion, and the Holy Spirit's tender call worked a miracle in a week,  and by all evidence, he was a part of God's family.

Every day we have a chance to share God's love with those we meet.  I believe He gives us moments daily in which we have insights into someone's struggles and burdens, and He lets us touch them.  Show a piece of Him.

We have a choice.  A choice to listen to those gentle whispers, to touch the hearts of God's hurting children.

Tomorrow I start my first day as a camp counselor for 11-12 year old boys.  I cannot describe the burden I feel for these young people I haven't even met yet.  I know they have burdens.  And I know the One who can free them.  I'm supposed to help with the introductions.

Please pray for me.  I know I can't do it alone.  But like any intern, my God promises to be right beside me, helping me with a job He could easily do Himself so that I receive the experience. 

Tomorrow, when you wake up much later than I did, and you stop to pray before another day, ask to wisdom to see appointments.  Pray for the grace to stop and see someone's sorrow or joy, and share that moment with them.

If you see with the eyes of the Healer, you will see the hurting.

Comments

Popular Posts