Don't See This Mess!

Five year-old Moe (definitely not his real name...) had been told many times not to climb up high to get things from the cabinet by his mom.  But when hunger calls, right?  This particular day the sandwich bread was easy enough to reach, it was on the counter.  A sandwich isn't a sandwich without something on it, though.  Suddenly only thinking about the jelly jar up above his head, he very quietly scooted the kitchen chair over, climbed up, and reached ever so high...

His five year-old hand could quite grasp it, and in a moment, jelly and glass lay across the counter and floor.

Mother heard the commotion and came running.  Hearing her coming, all he could think to do was hide his mess.  Her footsteps turned the corner.  He spun around, spreading his arms and legs as wide and big as he could.

"Don't see this mess!  Don't see this mess!  Don't see this mess!"

Isn't that we do so often?  We screw up yet again, and knowing God saw everything, we plead "Don't see this mess!  Don't see this mess!"

King David had a very different response, though.  "See this mess!"  He cried as he plead for God to look deep into his soul and take every evil thing from him.

Psalm 139:23 & 24 says, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxious thoughts; and see if  there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way."

Is that your prayer?  "Search me.  Look at this mess.  Take everything that's not Yours away from me. Make me Yours."

Comments

Popular Posts