Nothing to Say

I live 3,000 miles away from my family, and more than half my friends.  Social media is imperative for me to keep connected with them from so far away.  Or at least, that's what I thought.  I've been surprised by a shift in perspective the past few days, both in social media, and so many other day to day habits of the microwave generation I thought were actually important.

Last Friday, I turned off my phone.  I literally put my computer under lock and key.  And it's been freeing.  Without my phone buzzing and computer dinging, I've focused on my school, my spiritual life, and day to day, real conversations with people.  That's what everyone says when they disconnect, though, right?  What about the people I can't talk to anymore who care about me?

I turn my phone on for an hour every day.  During that hour, I have just enough time to talk to the people that matter.  No time for browsing, tweeting, scrolling, tapping.  Just talking. 

What's amazing is that my actual conversations with people are more meaningful, deeper, and don't lag or drop.  Because I haven't been consumed with every moment, consequential or inconsequential, I have a chance to really ask them what's happening.  We never run out of things to talk about!

Yes, it may be an inconvenience sometimes, with school work or other such important things, but it's anything but impossible.  When the semester ends, my phone may stay off except for that purposeful hour.  Because the most important things in my life lie far beyond that screen.

What lies beyond yours?


Comments

Popular Posts