Knights and Fair Maidens

Sideways glance and raised lip corner.  Megaphoned thoughts that shout Ew!  Creeper...

Yep.  I just held the door for you.  You're welcome.

A pile of scattered books and hours of black type letters on falling leaves.  Doe eyes and appreciative smile.  Thank you so much.  You have no idea what this means to me.  But I think I know what that soft hand on my arm means.

I hate to say it, but I'll pick up anyone's homework accident.

Dear Young Women,

This is a letter from a young man who desires to be the chivalrous warrior God created him to be.  My mother taught me that taking off your hat isn't just for your grandma.  My father taught me you don't just open doors for her if you're on a date.  Ladies first.

I'm not flirting when I go out of my way to make your day easier and to put you first.  I'm not creeping either.

I'm just doing what I was taught.  I was taught that Yes, ma'am isn't just my Sunday best.  That carrying your books doesn't make me your boyfriend.  And I'm sure not going through line ahead of you.

It may be awkward for you.  That's because you're not used to receiving that kind of respect.

Call me old fashioned or altruistic.  I'm used to it.  Call me a flirt.  Oh, isn't he too nice?  But I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing.  Because my parents taught me.

And now, just a moment to thank those of you who accept my chivalry as your due.  Thank you for treating me like a man who respects you.  Thank you for expecting me to hold the door.  You are truly young ladies, and I am privileged to know you.  Always expect men to treat you this way, and you won't be easily let down.

Sincerely,
Myself.

Comments

Popular Posts